Brunch is a lovely way to spend Christmas morning with friends and family. After exchanging gifts, you can gather around a beautiful brunch table to share the warmth of the holidays.
Make Ahead Brunch Menu
If you'd like to spend more time with friends and family and less in the kitchen on Christmas morning, then consider this make-ahead brunch. The foods in this brunch menu require minimal work on Christmas morning, so you can enjoy time with your family.
Cinnamon rolls are fun to make, and they keep very well. Make a traditional cinnamon rolls recipe well ahead of time and freeze the rolls, thawing them for breakfast. Likewise, you can make them a few days ahead of time, and as long as they are tightly wrapped, they will keep well. For a twist on basic cinnamon rolls, try delicious red velvet cinnamon rolls.
Along with your cinnamon rolls, serve a breakfast strata. Strata is easy to make ahead of time and then refrigerate overnight, unbaked. In the morning, you can pop the strata into the oven to bake.
Serves 6 to 8
- 8 slices bread, cut into cubes
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- Spray a 9x13-inch or oval casserole baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the bread cubes into the prepared pan, spreading them evenly.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the sausage, crumbling with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is soft, another 3 to 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely, and add to the pan with the bread cubes, tossing to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and sausage. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the casserole, uncovered, in the preheated oven until the center is set, about 50 minutes.
Finally, add some light and fresh flavors to your menu with a platter of simple fresh fruit. You can buy a pre-cut platter at the grocery store, or arrange fruits on a platter, such as:
- Melon balls
- Orange sections
Serve this brunch with mugs of hot chocolate, along with a juice of your choice. Sparkling apple cider also makes a lovely accompaniment to this brunch.
The holiday season is often filled with heavy foods, so you may just wish to lighten up on Christmas morning with a light brunch that's still delicious.
This simple frittata is a great light main course for your brunch.
Serves 4 to 6
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Adjust your oven rack to the center position and preheat your oven's broiler on high.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In a 12-inch oven-proof sauté pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until it wilts, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Arrange the cooked vegetables in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook without stirring until the eggs begin to set around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully use a rubber spatula to pull the set eggs away from the side of the pan. Tilt the pan and allow any uncooked egg to run into the edges. Cook without stirring until the edges set again.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated broiler. Broil until the top is puffy and set, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Serve your frittata alongside an ambrosia salad, which adds a creamy and slightly acidic counterpoint to the eggs.
Sweet Potato Muffins With Orange Honey Butter
Add a sweet potato muffin on the side, spread with orange honey butter.
Orange Honey Butter Ingredients
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
Orange Honey Butter Instructions
In a small bowl, cream together all ingredients until combined.
Offer the adults some sparkling Prosecco in a tall Champagne glass with a half ounce of a raspberry liqueur such as Chambord mixed in. Offer kids sparkling apple cider with a half ounce of grenadine in it.
French Toast Brunch Buffet
Baking French toast allows you to set it out on a buffet table with other goodies so your family and guests can help themselves.
Wow your loved ones with a baked raspberry-filled French toast. Have a traditional baked French toast option on the buffet, too, and an assortment of toppings like additional raspberries, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.
Offer platters of classic scrambled eggs and bacon to round out the French toast options.
Other Brunch Ideas
Many foods are perfect for brunch and brunch buffets. Consider trying:
- Bagels, cream cheese, and smoked salmon
- Slow cooker oatmeal
- Pancakes with assorted toppings, such as berries, syrup, and powdered sugar
- An easy breakfast casserole
Gathering around the table for a meal allows you to enjoy your loved ones over the holidays. By offering a tasty brunch, you'll get everyone's Christmas Day off to a wonderful start.