Christmas is a magical time of year for kids and adults. From festive foods and family gatherings to holiday decorations and attire, there's a lot to learn about Christmas. Get to know the ins and outs of this winter holiday, and maybe you'll find some new traditions to start with your own family.
What Is Christmas?
From a religious view, Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, and you can learn all about this event and other spiritual traditions in Christmas religious stories. For others, Christmas is a fun family time to receive a visit from Father Christmas or Santa Claus and his eight reindeer. Test your knowledge of what Christmas is all about with a Christmas trivia quiz.
Christmas Eve Activities
The night before Christmas is called Christmas Eve, and it's arguably more exciting than Christmas Day as the anticipation and excitement builds. Many kids and family count down the days 'til Christmas with calendars or modern traditions such as Elf on the Shelf. You can gather the family to see where Santa is using Christmas Eve tracking reports then test out expert tips on how to help kids of all ages fall asleep on Christmas Eve.
Classic Christmas Traditions
Traditions are a huge part of the holiday season for many people. Christmas traditions can express your religious beliefs and cultural heritage, or they can simply reflect your family's unique holiday spirit.
Christmas Words to Share
A big part of the Christmas season is spreading good will and holiday cheer.
- Print the lyrics to popular Christmas carols then go door-to-door in your neighborhood singing them.
- Share funny Christmas sayings or funny Christmas stories on social media or at your Christmas dinner.
- Write Christmas lists to keep your organized or share your most desired gifts with others.
Traditions for Kids at Christmas
Although waking up on Christmas morning to open gifts is the main activity for kids on Christmas, there are other activities they can look forward to.
- Free, printable Christmas lesson plans for school and Christmas games get kids in the holiday spirit before break begins.
- Kids can create custom pictures to give as gifts using Christmas tree templates and coloring pages along with Christmas poems for kids.
- Some towns and cities host a lighted Christmas parade to extend the celebration.
- Kids can use printable Santa letters to write the jolly man a note about what they'd like for Christmas then mail it to Santa Claus' address.
Christmas Cookie Fun
Find out what your favorite Christmas cookie says about you then bake up a few batches. If you're making gingerbread men, check out all the different gingerbread faces you can use to give your cookies lots of personality.
Learn About Christmas
Learn all about Christmas then share your knowledge of things like the origins of the phrase "Merry Christmas" or how candy canes were first made as part of your holiday celebration. When you understand what Christmas is all about and why different traditions exist, you'll be better equipped to make the holiday special and meaningful for your friends and family. Make your Christmas break the best one ever with great tips and resources for celebrating this festive time.