Since the true meaning of Christmas involves celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, Christmas songs for Christ are easy to find. Whether you love classic Christmas carols, pop songs about Christ, or any other genre of holiday music, there are Christ-centered songs you can own or listen to.
Traditional Christmas Hymns and Carols for Christ
Traditional Christmas carols and hymns often focus on the birth of Jesus Christ, so it's easy to find public domain Christmas songs for Christ. These Christmas carols are well known around the world and provide meaningful music to any home or church holiday celebration. Check out one of the best sites for free Christian music downloads or your favorite music streaming service to find a variety of versions of these classic Christmas songs.
- Angels We Have Heard on High, The Piano Guys version in video below
- Bethlehem Down, version by The King's Singers and Peter Warlock
- Good Christian Men, Rejoice, Bob Fitts version
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing, version by St. Michael's Singers
- Hodie Christus Natus est (Today Christ is Born), The Cambridge Singers version
- Infant Holy, Infant Lowly, version by Ann Alee
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear, Andrew Tinker version
- Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine, instrumental version from Viola Online
- No Small Wonder, version by Jubilate Hymns
- O Come All Ye Faithful, Johnny Cash version
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel, version by Singer Pur
- O Holy Night, Huddersfield Choral Society version
- O Little Town of Bethlehem, version by Nat King Cole
- O Magnum Mysterium, The King's Singers version
- Rise Up Shepherd and Follow, OCP Session Choir version
- The First Noel, version by Shiloh Worship Music
- What Child Is This?, Sovereign Grace Music version
- While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks, version by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Children's Christmas Songs About Christ
Christmas music for kids usually includes simple tunes and repeated lyrics, making them ideal for children of all ages. Adults can play instruments to accompany the kids or sing in a mixed choir with them.
Classic Christian Christmas Songs for Little Kids
Christmas songs for preschoolers and lower elementary kids about Christ are typically short and pair well with props such as battery-powered candles. Younger kids can sing any Christian Christmas song when you teach them the chorus followed by one verse, then the chorus again. To help children learn the lyrics to Christmas songs, make up hand gestures and actions.
- Away in a Manger, OCP Session Choir version in video below
- Joy to the World, version by God's Kids Worship
- Little Drummer Boy, GENTRI version
- Once in Royal David's City, version by Aled Jones and Libera
- Silent Night, Beat Press instrumental version for kids
- The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy, Jubilate Hymns version
- We Three Kings, version by UNIS
Classic Christian Christmas Songs for Youth Choirs and Teens
Children's choirs made up of kids of different ages can sing most popular Christmas songs for Christ or use worship songs for youth groups in a Christmas program. Look for a mix of familiar tunes and lesser-known songs to create a great Christmas music for Christ program.
- Do You Hear What I Hear?, Voices of Hope Children's Choir version in video below
- Go Tell It On the Mountain, guitar instrumental version by Jesse Anderson
- Mary's Boy Child, TobyMac version
- The Babe of Bethlehem, version by Nativity Songs
- The Seven Joys of Mary, The Choir of St. John's Cambridge version
- While Shepherds Watched, version by UNIS
Contemporary Christian Christmas Songs
Although the traditional Christmas hymns are well known and loved, contemporary Christian artists and popular artists from other music genres are coming out with new faith-based songs every holiday. A number of artists put their heart and soul into singing popular Christian holiday songs with their own unique compositions.
Inspirational Christmas Carol Covers by Modern Artists
Instead of using the standard, original version of your favoring Christmas songs for Christ, look for covers by modern artists to give your performance a contemporary feel.
- A Capella group Pentatonix is known for their powerful covers of classic Christmas songs, but their 2013 rendition of Little Drummer Boy is a stunner with over 145 million YouTube views.
- Country superstars Kelly Clarkson, Reba McEntire, and Trisha Yearwood teamed up in 2013 to share a live version of Silent Night that's beautifully classic and contemporary at the same time.
- Even rappers and hip-hop artists get in on classic Christmas covers like CeeLo Green who covered Mary Did You Know.
- Joy to the World takes on a whole new identity in instrumentalist Sufjan Stevens' eclectic 2012 version.
New and Original Spiritual Christmas Songs for Christ
From original Christmas rock songs to meaningful slow jams about Christ and Christmas, many modern artists capitalize on the holiday season by penning their own songs about joy and believing in Christ.
- Lauren Daigle's Behold A Christmas Album features classics Christmas carols and the original song about Christ's birth called Light of the World.
- Christian band MercyMe has a great original song called Joseph's Lullaby about Jesus' birth from the point of his father, Joseph.
- A Baby Changes Everything is a song by Faith Hill that imagines Mary is a modern teen mom.
- In 2018 gospel singer April Meservy released a new track, Do You Have Room? (for the Savior).
- Christmas Must be Tonight by Train was released in 2015 and recounts the true meaning of Christmas.
Christ Is Christmas
If you celebrate Christmas because you're celebrating Jesus Christ, Christmas songs for Christ can help keep the holiday focused. Whether you're out caroling with printable Christmas carols, putting on a Christmas show at church, looking for ethnic Christmas carols, or jamming out with the kids as you decorate, christ-centered Christmas music can get you in the right holiday spirit.