Mailed gifts can make your holiday special knowing the person has received your gift in time of the celebration. Keep in mind that holiday mail increases two weeks prior and get your gifts in the mail as soon as possible.
Sending Mailed Gifts and Choosing Gifts to Ship
There are many types of gifts you choose to mail. The best days to mail holiday or Christmas gifts are on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. If you're sending baked goods, you should aim for next day delivery or ideally 2-day delivery. Next day delivery is expensive, so you should include it as part of the overall cost of your gift.
1. Cookie Cutter Shaped Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are often baked as drop cookies, but you can change it up by using holiday cookie cutters. The key to making this work is to roll out the dough before you add the chips sprinkle mini-chocolate chips on top.
- Divide the dough.
- Roll out the dough and place between waxed or pastry paper and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to baking. You can either decorate the cookies with an icing, sprinkles, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over them, or leave plain.
Packing to Mail
Chocolate chip cookies are a good cookie to mail since they can withstand being jostled around. If you're concerned about the chocolate melting, use an insulated box with a cold pack or two and send overnight or priority mail.
- Freeze cookies overnight prior to mailing for an added layer of protection against breakage.
- Plastic wrap the same shaped cookies together in groups of four or five.
- Line a cookie tin or sturdy box with bubble wrap.
- Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil in over this with enough length to fold over the top of the packed cookies.
- Don't over pack the tin or box.
- Use pieces of bubble wrap in empty spaces for added cushioning.
2. Rose Quartz Heart
If your friend or family member is appreciative of the power of gemstones, send them a beautiful rose quartz heart. This is a gift that instantly conveys how much you love them.
- Wrap the quartz in bubble wrap and place in a snug fitting gift box.
- Wrap the gift box with festive holiday paper.
- Use a flat bow and ribbon for your package.
- If including a greeting card that fits over the box, secure it between the ribbon/bow and the box.
- Place your wrapped gift inside a mailing box.
- Fill in any excessive space between your gift and the mailer box with bubble wrap.
3. Holiday Greeting Card With a Seed Packet
If you have a gardener on your Christmas or holiday gift list, the select a greeting card or create one and print it yourself. Add some holiday confetti and a pack of seeds for flowers or a vegetable you believe they will like. This is a gift they can enjoy for months to come. If they collect seeds for each garden harvest, make sure that you send a non-hybrid variety. Choose an heirloom seed, so they can add it to their seed collection next gardening season.
4. Holiday Teatime
Send a tea collection that is ideal for Christmas and the holidays. You can choose from a tea chest of herbal teas or tea tasting assortment with a unique handcrafted pyramid tea infuser. You may decide a seasonal and festive gourmet tea collection is an ideal holiday gift or an organic herbal tea collection.
5. Vintage Teacup
If your friend or family member is a vintage teacup collector, surprise them with a vintage teacup. You may find the perfect vintage teacup to add to their collection through an online resell website like eBay or at a local flea market. If you pack the cup yourself, make sure you're generous with the bubble wrap by wrapping the cup and the saucer separately.
6. Favorite Candy Pieces
You can package your own pieces of candy by using resealable food grade plastic bags. This is a fun gift for the kids on your Christmas list. Choose a cardboard packaging box to place your bags of candies. Gift wrap and place inside a sturdy mailing box. You can choose candy pieces of Pez mixed fruit, unwrapped smarties, Gummi bears, Red Hots, M&M, gum drops, peppermint puffs, retro Christmas candies, and other unwrapped candies.
7. Three Kings' Original Christmas Gifts
You can give the same gift that the three Kings' gave to the Christ child. You can buy frankincense and myrrh incense or resin pieces and gold flakes. Use a wooden box to nestle your gifts on a bed of red velvet fabric. If you don't feel creative enough to design your own Three Kings gift, you can purchase one from Amazon.
8. Crocheted or Knitted Hat, Scarf, and Gloves
If you know how to crochet or knit, you can create a one-of-a-kind Christmas gift that will a lot to the person receiving your gift. You can create a hat, scarf and glove set, or you may choose just one item for your gift. You can mail the finished item and not need to worry about it arriving in good condition.
9. Spa Gift Set
Spa gift sets don't always have the exact scents and products you want. Instead of relying on finding just the right one, you can put together a spa gift set. This way you can choose the specific aromas and products you want to include, such as a scented candle, loofah, shower gel, body scrub, bubble bath, bath salt, body lotion, and/or other items that you know the person likes.
10. Embroidered Pillowcases
If you're good with a needle, then you can gift a unique pair of pillowcases. The person will appreciate the time you spent creating their gift. You can even monogram their initials into your design for a truly personal touch. This gift can easily be sent in a priority envelope, or you can box it up with decorative wrapping paper and place in a mailer box.
11. Kids' Costumes for Dress Up
If you have children on your Christmas shopping list, a good gift for each is a costume for playing dress-up. You can cull your clothes closet to find fun items to include, such as a dressy hat, a lace shawl, a pair of high heels you no longer wear, and other items that are in good condition. You can also order a few items online and then create a gift box for each child.
- Place the shoes in a shoe box, and the clothes in a separate gift box.
- Gift wrap the boxes.
- Add flat ribbons and bows.
- Place wrapped gift boxes inside the mailing box.
- Use bubble wrap to fill any empty spaces.
- Seal, address, and arrange for pickup.
12. Framed Cross-Stitched Pattern
You can create a one-of-a-kind gift with a cross-stitched pattern. Choose a small to moderate size cross-stitch design and once you've finished it, have it matted and framed. This gift will need to be bubble wrapped to ensure it arrives undamaged. You can use corner protectors on the frame as an addition precaution. Send early to bypass the holiday mail rush.
13. Create a Christmas Pillow
There are many fabric patterns you can use for a Christmas pillow. This can be something as simple as a printed pattern or a cross-stitch or needlepoint design. You can send the pillow along with the pillow form in a box without worrying about possible damage. Just make sure the mailer box is sturdy so your pillow arrives safely for a holiday surprise that your friend or family member can enjoy and think of you each year the pillow is displayed.
14. Kitchen Two-Towel Set
You can give a Maison d' Hermine Campagne set of two kitchen towel set. This elegant towel set might be too beautiful to use and can be sent directly to your friend or family member. Just indicate it is a gift and have it gift wrapped complete with a note that it's from you.
15. Cleansing Crystal and Incense Kit for Home
You can put together a cleansing kit for a home. This is a great gift for anyone interested in clearing stagnant energy from their home. You can include a sage stick, a white candle, incense, a clear quartz crystal, amethyst crystal, and/or Himalayan salt crystals. You can include a singing bowl and place all the items inside the bowl. Find a box that will hold the bowl and goodies. You can then wrap the box and place it inside a mailer box.
16. Pair of Crocheted Slippers
You can crochet a pair of slippers for those on your Christmas list. These are easy to make and quite simple to mail. You can wrap the slippers in tissue paper and place in a slim box or simply wrap with Christmas paper and slip into a priority mailer envelop. It just depends how you wish to package your gift.
17. Christmas Ties
If you have a sewing machine, you can create Christmas ties out of solid colored material or Christmas patterns. You can hand paint a Christmas scene and even add small sequins and/or LED lights. This gift can be placed in a mailer and sent to everyone on your lists who likes novelty Christmas ties.
18. Iron On Christmas Icon Transfers for Kids
You can create a crafting gift for kids with a sweatshirt or t-shirt and iron-on Christmas icons transfers. Select a Christmas transfer that fits each child's personality. You can either mail these in envelopes for wrap in individual boxes. If saving on mailing cost, you can include wrapping paper and flat boxes for the mom or dad to wrap the gifts for you, or order the boxes, ribbons, tags, and wrapping paper to be delivered.
19. Sleep Mask
You can either purchase a sleep mask for each person on your list or if you know how to sew, you can make them. You can also buy plain mask and using a hot glue gun add sequins, beads, and other embellishments. Each of these can be sent out in a mailer envelope with a greeting card tucked inside for your personal message.
20. Christmas Trivet
A Christmas trivet is easy to send through the mail. Having a trivet for hot casserole dishes is a must when serving a Christmas meal.
21. Bake a Cake
You can bake a cake and send it by mail. The key to this type of gift is to be timely so the cake is still fresh. Most cakes are best sent via UPS. All cakes should first be frozen. It's best to have hard icing instead of very soft so the icing stays on the cake during transport. The best cakes for shipping are pound cakes and Bundt cakes. You can use baker sticks to keep the wrapping away from the icing.
A few packing tips:
- Wrap the cake with a paper collar so the sides are protected.
- Use insulated cooler and line with bubble wrap
- Fill any empty spaces with bubble wrap
- Mark box fragile with arrows indicating right side up
- Arrange a UPS pickup
22. Hair Accessories and Tiara
For the person who has everything, a gift of a variety of hair accessories can be fun, especially for a little girl. Choose novelty shapes and designs and various colors. You can include hair claws, bows, headbands, clips, barrettes, velvet scrunchies, hair coils, and other hair accessories. You can even include a tiara as the final touch for this gift.
- Wrap the tiara with bubble wrap followed by gift wrapping paper.
- Select a box deep enough to protect the tiara during shipping.
- Line the bottom of the box and sides with bubble wrap so there is excess to cover the top of the contents once placed inside the box.
- Wrap the rest of the individual items with decorative paper.
- Place the remaining gifts inside the box.
- Set a greeting card either on top of the gifts.
- Fold the excess bubble wrap over the top of the contents.
- Seal the box and address it.
- Arrange for the package to be picked up.
23. Matchbox Cars
You can collect matchbox cars or order a set online. If you decide to collect various types of cars and group together as a gift, you can wrap each one in tissue paper and place inside a gift box. Wrap the box and place it inside a shipping box. Don't forget to add a note or greeting card.
24. Fingernail Polish Collection
You can make Christmas or other holidays even more festive with a collection of fingernail polish or fingernail polish strips. Choose the colors you like and line a gift box with tissue. Wrap each bottle in bubble wrap and place inside the gift box. Add a couple of seasonal decorative nail strips for a special touch. Wrap the gift box and place inside a mailer box. Fill any empty space with bubble wrap.
25. Girl's Jewelry Box With Costume Jewelry
You can create a unique holiday gift for a girl by selecting a jewelry box and filling it with costume jewelry for dress up. You want to be mindful of choking hazards, so select appropriately sized jewelry, ever mindful of any small parts. Also, pay close attention to the type of metal and country origin for safety.
25 Mailed Gifts Guaranteed to Make Holidays Special
With 25 ideas for gifts to ship, you can narrow your search for the ideal Christmas gifts. Mailed gifts are a great way to celebrate Christmas and other holidays with those you love.